Our Blogs

To taste our dish go through our blogs and stay Up-to-date.

Web Design Pitfalls and How You Can Avoid Them

Web Design Pitfalls and How You Can Avoid Them

If you are planning to get a new custom website for your small business, it is important to hire the right talent. Not only will that help you get noticed, but will ensure you make your mark in the highly competitive online space. When you choose to get a custom website design, you start to see the benefits with higher search engine rankings, more traffic and increased conversion rates and more sales.

But designing a great website that provides you all these benefits is no mean task and there are some common web design pitfalls you should be looking out for; here we discuss some of them and how to avoid them:

#1 Complicated Navigation

When visitors land on your home page, they should be clearly be able to see where everything is placed and you can do this by using intuitive navigation. If your website is extensive and has a lot of information on various services and products, you won’t be able to place all the tabs on the home page.

You can have drop-down menus on the main tabs and have a search field added to the site. This will help users quickly locate the information they seek. If your search algorithm is poor, users may not find the right information and will simply move onto the next site on the search results page and you will end up losing customers to your rivals.

#2 Using a very complex typeface

It’s never a good idea to use a variety of fonts on your website as that only makes the pages look unprofessional and in a state of disarray. While it is important to make your website look unique and stand out from the crowd, you need to maintain a certain level of consistency; this helps ensure that every part of your business message is clear and in-sync with the rest of it.

Pick just one typeface or two, if you must; use a legible and elegant typeface for the headlines and something universal and clean for everything else. If you really feel the need to add different-looking elements on your web pages, use different weights and sizes of the same typeface. This will help avoid haphazardness and inconsistency in the overall appearance of your website.

#3 Difficult to scan through

Your custom built website should allow visitors to quickly run through the content. The user should be able to identify what your message is and what you are trying to convey, even by quickly scanning through the site. You can achieve this by using a simple yet attractive website theme, the right colours (not too many of them), legible headline, information listed in bullet points and all the content with the right spacing.

#4 Deviating from popular design choices, and not emulating those

While it’s important to be unique and make an impression, you need to know in which aspects to do this. And good design is always 25% ingenuity and originality and the remaining 75% is recognising and incorporating different pre-established methods for clear and effective communication.

And if your competitors already have certain design choices they commonly use (which they will), that’s exactly what your visitors are going to expect to see on your website as well. These are some of the things they will subconsciously interpret as evidence that they have reached a credible site.

And you do want your visitors and potential customers to know that they’re in the right place! So optimise your site’s visual aesthetic. And keep in mind that only when you’ve established a solid foundation of traditionally “good” design that you’ll be able to effectively identify all the smaller opportunities to get creative and make an impact.

Inconsistent Interfaces, broken links, slow server times and out-dated information are some of the other common pitfalls you should be avoiding.

For excellent responsive web design, custom or template sites, sales process support, CRM automation and results driven online marketing strategies, feel free to connect with Digital Canteen at this number – 02-9025-4304.

Thanks for reading,
Digital Canteen Team

Post A Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *